Wednesday, March 26, 2014

Emerald Waterways River Cruises

Last month my husband and I attended the Boston travel expo. We have seen almost all of North America and quite a bit of Asia, so our next interest is Europe. I've been to many countries in Europe but I have yet to explore the western part of the continent.

With all the traveling I've done, I have reached a point where I'm kind of tired of planning all the details of my trip. I'd really like to just book my flight and have the rest of the trip planned out for me. This is where Emerald Waterways could enter my life.

I looked into their river cruises. You read that correctly. A cruise. Specifically, a river cruise. What a fabulous way to check out a few countries! Normally I'm not a cruise person. I don't like to stare at an endless ocean.


River cruises seem to be a totally different experience from the stereotypical cruise. With Emerald Waterways, I'll get to stare at land, witnessing local architecture and European scenery the entire time I'm on the ship.

Transportation, accomodation, meals and excursions are ALL included in the price. I barely have to lift a finger. After exploring the website and talking to my husband, we think the 8 day Danube Delights river cruise would be the most ideal.

An Emerald Waterways representative will meet us at the airport on day 1 and transfer us to the ship. Upon arrival, we'll have a chance to relax, unwind and explore the ship. There are a variety of cabins from which to choose on a brand new ship. State rooms and suites all have a river view. The rooms are large, and upgrading to a suite comes with extras like a complimentary mini bar and en-suite breakfast. The ship also offers a heated swimming pool with a retractable roof and a gelati station. Yum!

The cruise commences with a welcome dinner. For an extrovert like me, this is the perfect opportunity to meet cruisemates for the trip. A chance to meet new people at each meal time will hopefully lead to long lasting friendships. Complimentary wine and beer with lunch and dinner may also bring out some fun travel stories for all to share.

After a good night's rest, we will wake up to a shore excursion that is included every day on the river cruise. This is amazing, because many of the riverside towns are not necessarily hot tourists spots. I love the immersion aspect of traveling a bit off the beaten path. I feel we will get more of an authentic travel experience.

Finally, there is that saying "It's the little things that matter." With Emerald Waterways, they really do take care of many of those details that can aggravate travelers. There is no need to give tips because tipping is included in the price. That alone can save us over $500. The crew speaks English, incredibly important for my husband. There is free WiFi on board, also incredibly important for my husband. God forbid he can't check email... just kidding!

I truly hope I am honored with the chance to experience an Emerald Waterways river cruise. I think it would be an amazing experience that would create many fond memories for years to come.

* I did not receive compensation to write this post.
** All images are courtesy of http://www.emeraldwaterways.co.uk/

2 comments:

Steve Davis said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Steve Davis said...

Thinking about a river cruise? ​I'm fortunate as a writer to have the occasional opportunity to travel on cruise ships, mostly to Europe and South America, but now and then to the Caribbean or South Pacific. I used to use sites like Travelocity to book my cruises, but I stumbled upon the better way to find deals: go to the second level sites - those like http://ReservationCreation.com who compare 14 of the major cruise line sites in one single search. You'll not only see Royal Caribbean or Princess deals, but ALL OF THEM in one place.

I must have saved over 3,000 Euros since I started using them. I sincerely believe that using only one of the top booking sites is not necessarily the best idea.